Calvary Baptist Church
Click here to see old photos of Calvary
In December, 1889, the Reverend A. C. Dixon, pastor of the Baptist Tabernacle, held a Baptist worship service in a small room located over a blacksmith's shop in Towson. By February, 1890, a Sunday School program was being conducted in that upper room. On August 15, 1890, twelve members of that Sunday School signed the charter founding Calvary Baptist Church.
The membership of the new Church grew rapidly. A Church building was constructed, and in 1892 the congregation moved into a simple frame sanctuary constructed on the present property at 120 West Pennsylvania Avenue in Towson. In 1929, that small structure was replaced by a modern sanctuary. An educational wing was added in 1960.
It is important to remember that a Church is not a building of wood or stone, but a group of people called to serve God in a given location and in the whole world. Through the years, Calvary Baptist Church has been blessed with many dedicated people who have given months, years, or lifetimes, furthering the Kingdom of God through the ministries of this congregation.
Pastors Of The Church:
On August 14, 2016 the Rev. Dr. William Sean Lee and
Rev. Sarah W. Lee were installed as pernament Co-Pastors of Calvary